December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

And a happy new year. In honor of receiving lovely gifts today, I want to make it part of my New Year's resolution to always have something for someone else on the needles. By that, I mean a specific object for a specific person. I have a habit of making things and thinking "oh, I'm sure I can give this to someone" and then liking them and keeping them. The thing is I really don't need any more hats, scarves, gloves, or knitted items in general, and I love knitting for other people. This way, I will spend time thinking about all the people I care about as I make the item for them. So I will come up with some vague ideas that I can elaborate on later.

  • Baby items for all the wonderful babies I know
  • Graduation gifts for many of my classmates - dishcloths, pillows, blankets?
  • Lacy items for my mother
  • Dishrags for my grandmother -- for some reason, this is the only knitted item she is interested in receiving.
  • Scarf for my teacher who wanted to steal the one I've been wearing this winter
  • Socks forfriend who said he's always wanted a pair of hand-knit socks
  • Eye-masks for people I'll be travelling with this summer (always great for plane trips)
  • Leggings for friend who has been requesting them for ages. I have yet to find the correct pattern to use.
Any other ideas?

1 comment:

Samah said...

Good idea! I do that a lot too--I'm so anxious to start some project with some yarn that I either a) end up keeping it, or b) give it to someone who could've gotten a present better fit for them.

Good luck with all your giftknits! I actually have a list of patterns for this purpose somewhere; once I find it, I'll be sure to give you some ideas.